Aug 2, 2013

Getting Windows 8 on a Macbook Pro

I am typing this post on a new, shine Mac Book Pro with a retina display, a big SSD and lots of memory ;)

But instead of using Mac OS I decided to go through the bootcamp route and install Windows 8 (sorry, I cant't code in C# without Resharper anymore :)

Well, since this solution is an official solution (from Apple) I expected everything to go really smoothly and without any major issues (other than the Windows 8 ones... :). This was my first disappointment with Apple; first I tried 3 different flash disks (pendrive) but bootcamp just hangs without any information why (no one can blame Windows for this ;). Some times it just said "an error occurred while copying windows files to the flash disk" (or something like that). 

I even tried 2 different external hard drives with the same outcome. In the end I decide to do it the way the "pros" does, i.e, I manually created a bootable flash drive using a Windows 8 x64 image, used bootcamp to install it (but not to install the drivers) and as soon as Windows booted after the installation finished I downloaded and installed the bootcamp drivers manually.

Finally I had an working machine (hey, it is really fast) (moving from an old Q9400  to a new I7 machine makes a huge difference) and was happy... until trying to close the notebook lid (expecting to put Windows to a good sleep) and noticing it just turned the computer off. 

While googling trying to understand what went wrong I realized this is a relatively common issue with this setup (at least lots of people was asking similar questions in various online forums); the problem is that it looks like some device driver don't support sleeping. You can confirm this by running the following command in the command line:

powercfg -a

In my case I just got this:

The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Hibernate
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Standby (S3)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Standby (Connected)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Notice the line saying the system do not support S3 sleep state; this is exactly the state the machine should enter when its lid is closed.. 

Later I found this joy in a FAQ on Apple site:


23. My Macintosh running Windows 7 or 8 does not sleep when a Thunderbolt device is plugged in.  Is this normal?
Yes. Sleep is disabled in Windows 7 or 8 while a Thunderbolt device is plugged in.
Well done! Anyway, it looks like I do have an workaround; do not use thunderbolt devices. I'll try.

What do you think?

No comments: